Coronavirus and Your Community
Assignment due Tuesday, September 15 at 5 p.m.
Write 300 to 500 words about the way coronavirus affects your community. Interview at least two people. Please try to interview people outside of your own family.
Use the active voice.
The subject does the action.
- Write in a Word document or put it in the Google Drive folder.
- The copy goes flush left.
- If you include a photo put it at the top of the piece.
- Remember that this is a news story and not a term paper.
a. You want to write a lead, or lede.
1. You can choose to write in the traditional inverted pyramid style. That means you give us the most important facts first. https://ccnyintroductiontojournalism.com/2020/09/03/reporting-basics-2/
2. Or you can choose the pyramid style where you begin with a small detail, or quote.
If you need examples of these, look on our website under Stories To Read: https://ccnyintroductiontojournalism.com/category/news/
If it is still confusing, get in touch with me.
b. After the lede, you write the nut graf. Tell us what the story is about.
c. Then continue to tell the story.
d. Remember that one idea should logically lead to the next.
e. When you finish what you have to say don’t try to wrap it up neatly. Just finish. You can finish with a quote. But don’t tell us what you have told us. You can move the story forward. So if you are doing a story about people unable to pay their rent, you might give information about where people can go to get help in a situation like that.